27 September 2009

Toronto Book Launch



Had the Toronto launch of Jazz Age Barcelona this past Wednesday night. It was quite simply one of the best evenings of my life. To be surrounded by so many great friends all at once was an absolute privilege.

My friend Marta, who is visiting from Girona, spent the afternoon making tortilla de patata and I even helped peel potatoes (for the first time! note: this is noteworthy because I don't EAT potatoes). The Press did a fabulous job of putting the evening together. The publicist Andrea-Jo was fantastic and arranged some good food and for a couple of jazz musicians to play during the evening. Ben Mcnally's Books, for those who haven't been, is a brilliant space and was the perfect spot to host the event.

My colleague Joe gave me a very warm and generous introduction and then I gave my speech, which Marta recorded on her camera (see below...). It was such a wonderful feeling to look out and see everyone there enjoying the cava and food but of course, it was tough in the sense that it was impossible to spend very much time with any one person/group in particular.

So all in all, a fabulous evening... and the added bonus is that it really motivates you to have another one! With any luck, I shouldn't have to wait tooooo long as The Hotel: Space Over Time (also with U of Toronto P), should hopefully be out in a year and a half...








2 comments:

Jennifer Varela said...

I LOVE IT!!! no more book launch parties without me!

also, why no 'toes? i thought they were in your dna.

Bob Davidson said...

Yes, it was shame that you couldn't be there!! Definitely next time!!

Oh, and I don't like potatoes that taste like potatoes. So McDonald's fries = good, fat icky fries = bad. Crisps = good, fried/baked/lumpy mashed potato = ick.