27 September 2009

The Hold Steady -- Concert Review

So I had gone a year without seeing my favourite live band of recent years, The Hold Steady.

People say, "who?" And I say, "Hold Steady."

People say, "why?" And I say, "Hold Steady."

And then I say, "Unironic joy. That's why."

These guys impress because not only do they bring it every night, but they unabashedly love playing. There is no posing (ok, maybe a little by the bassist when he starts getting cute with the keyboardist) and the insane gesticulations carried out by lead singer Craig Finn are real and engaging. Finding something authentically joyful in popular culture is not exactly easy these days and so for that reason, I latched onto them and even though their last album took an exceedingly long time to grow on me, I'm still hooked.

Tickets for the two Toronto shows at Lee's Palace this past week-end sold out quickly and I only had time to grab a couple for the first night. Now, while I used to preach the Hold Steady gospel and hope for them to make it big, I'm a little torn by the fact that they have become VERY big with frat boy types who seem to REALLY REALLY get into them. Less of a communion (how their concerts are often described), Saturday night was more a raucous episode of binge drinking with the Hold Steady playing the part of the alcohol. Duma and I were down in front and it had been a while since I'd been in a mosh-pit like atmosphere but what can I say, I just wasn't digging all of the sweaty boors... But that aside, the show was great. The setlist included a nice mix of old chestnuts, hidden gems, new tracks out and about for the first time and warhorses. Check it out:

Positive Jam
Magazines
Barfruit Blues
Hurricane J
Sequestered
Multitude
Stevie Nix
Hot Soft Light
Heaven Is Whenever
Chips Ahoy!
Yeah Sapphire
Massive Nights
Party Pit
Slight Discomfort
Southtown
Hoodrat
Goin' On A Hike
Slapped Actress

ENCORE:

Certain Songs
Constructive
Stations
Killer Parties

"Multitude of Casualties" and "Stevie Nix" were a great treat -- although you could tell that not everyone in the crowd was a long-time fan. Then, the trio of "Yeah Sapphire," "Massive Nights," and "Party Pit" really cranked things up before Constructive Summer and Stuck Between Stations brought the house down. There wasn't any "First Night" (which has particular resonance for me but wouldn't have fit with Saturday's vibe, anyway) nor "How a Resurrection Really Feels" at the end (although they finished with that one on Sunday). But, hey, I'm not going back-packing in Africa again for a while (oh, except for Kilimanjaro for my 40th next year) so I'm sure that I'll get another chance to see them again soon. This is a band that is not to be missed live.

hold steady.

(crank up the volume, the levels are low on this link...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4hqZuKr_g&feature=related

No comments: