01 September 2009

IGTC Endorses: Journal For Plague Lovers by the Manic Street Preachers



OK, so this album has been out for a couple of months in the UK but is as-of-yet unreleased here in Canada, which meant I had to pick up the import over at Soundscapes. I have to thank Derek for getting me back into this band. He called a couple of weeks ago with the news that they are touring and suggested that we go see them when they hit T.O. in October.

Their debut classic, Generation Terrorists, is one of those discs that has ALWAYS been in the car... I don't even know if it has ever been in the house... Now, "Motorcycle Emptiness" conjures up memories of driving to the moulin everyday back when I lived in Pincourt, of countless kilometres on the 401, trips to Kingston, Ottawa and just plain driving around town.

So getting back into their catalogue has been a trip even if I do prefer the earlier stuff. Imagine my surprise, then, when I heard the first couple of songs from Journal and realised that the lyrics were most definitely written by Ritchey (the band's lyricist who disappeared in 1995 and was recently presumed dead). It's very weird to hear that vibe coming literally from beyond the dead. And with lyrics like "Oh mummy what's a sex pistol?" you have to smile.

No comments: