28 November 2008

Namibia Off the Record, on the QT and Very Hush-Hush

So back when we were in Namibia last month, one of the people that we ran into took me aside at one point and asked me if I wanted to buy some diamonds... Angolan diamonds... Angolan blood diamonds... When I expressed concern about the legality of such a thing (not to mention the ethics) and told him that, in any event, I knew that exporting them would be impossible, he reassured me by saying that he knew a really good forger and that the papers wouldn't be a problem...

Talk about taking me back to my Honduras days... when, in the space of an hour at Expat's in La Ceiba, I would run into drug smugglers, car thieves, arms dealers and jewel merchants like "Action" Jackson, who once had not one, but two, gotas de aceite (pure emeralds) in his possession. Whether he really did get betrayed by his Colombian army partner and end up in a firefight (he won) is inconsequential... ah yes, quite the time and place...

Oh, and I said "no" to the offer to buy the diamonds.

2 comments:

Jennifer Varela said...

jesus h murphy!

Duma said...

Oh the memories...
Jackson: "Yeah, I caught some shrapnel in that firefight..."
Bob & Duma: "Wow,that must have sucked!'
Jackson: "Yeah, but I killed the f#@ker that did it!"