04 November 2008

Leaving Namibia


Our 4x4 on a clean day...

Tonight's my last night in Namibia on this trip. I'm going to miss it; this is an absolutely fantastic place and a real joy to visit. The people are incredibly friendly and well, the sights, they're simply awesome...

I'm very glad that we travelled with Philippe for those 12 days. Having him around totally helped me get out of my comfort zone in terms of doing things that I probably wouldn't have done (like camping for 12 days!) and as a result, I got to see so many more great things and meet some wonderful people.

Favourite places? In the bush: Spitzkoppe by far... that place is magic. Etosha was nice but there's just something about the granite at Spitzkoppe... If you ever go, I think that our campsite was #35 (or maybe #30) -- right around the first outcropping. And as for the urban areas: Swakopmund by far. Pretty much the ideal climate for me and a real sense of community. The crazy German factor in Africa also cannot be underestimated in terms of making it unforgettable.
Tonight we'll go out for dinner with Philippe Talavera; this morning we were briefly back at the conference centre to see the hip-hop artists teaching the kids some moves... let me just say that I have a new appreciation for the art! Very, very intricate! Some of them were having problems picking it up but hey, who am I to judge???

Flight to Joburg tomorrow aft and then on to Maputo in the evening... time to pick up some Portuguese, I suppose (or at least speak Catalan or Spanish with a Portuguese accent...)


Solitary tree at Sesriem.



Interesting juxtaposition here at the very comfy Chameleon Lodge in Windhoek.
The bottom flag is the estel.lada, the Catalan nationalist banner.

No comments: