11 September 2008

"Bobno Callaghan" Explained...


A couple of people have wondered where the Bobno Callaghan moniker comes from... here's the short version:

Bobno Callaghan is the name that a schizophrenic co-worker gave me when I worked at the trophy factory in Brampton, Ontario. He told me that we were brothers, that his name was Robno Barolet and that my name was not Bob Davidson as I had been led to believe all these years but, rather, Bobno Callaghan. Now, this guy told me some pretty crazy shit... oh, and he talked to invisible people, too, gesturing to them and moving out of the way to let them pass, etc. while conversing.

One day, I couldn't take it anymore so I asked him who was there exactly. He replied that he could see all sorts of people in the room and that they were from all over the world. Normally, this would pose a linguistic problem but not so for Robno, because--truth be told--he was God and could speak all languages. An unfortunate deity, Robno had been splintered into different facets and was living simultaneously in multiple timestreams -- "O-K..." I thought, "and this incarnation was fat, slobby and condemned to spend his days in a trophy factory... uh, huh..."

Anyway, let's get back to the invisible people in the shipping dept.: they worshipped Robno but also undermined his sexuality, or so I was told. But fear not, dear reader, because Robno had a personal sex therapist: none other than Sebastian Bach of Skid Row... Now, physically, God, or Robno, as this version was known, was not very attractive. He had a big pot belly and a long beard -- and often times both were covered with crusty bits of food that had missed his mouth. I didn't suspect that he was having a lot of sex, but I could have been wrong. Robno was a many talented God, though, and would occasionally write poetry. I asked him to write me some and he did but I put a stop to that after he presented me with his second magnum opus, as it turned out to be a lurid screed about me and my then girlfriend at the time...

Alas, the story of Robno did not end well. First of all, the world did not disappear when he told me it was going to (the forces of Good were supposed to have defeated the forces of the Bogus People) and shortly after that, he kind of went psycho. On the day that he started throwing boxes of small plaques at me, they took him away. : (

Postdata #1:
Robno was replaced in the factory by a skinny redneck who liked to tune in CFGM, the country music station, on our radio in the shipping department. This charmer had been drummed out of the army because he and his buddy had taken things into their own hands during a live-fire artillery exercise. More precisely, they decided to kill a moose that had wandered onto the range. They were quite successful but rather than receive commendations, the brass rewarded their gumption with summary courts-martial.

Postdata #2:
Re: questions as to the name of this blog, it is simply one of the best things one can hear someone say... or say yourself. Try it and you'll see!

3 comments:

Jennifer Varela said...

i didn't know about the trophy-making days. can i get one with a lightning bolt with For excellence in JENeral Duties scratched into it?

Bob Davidson said...

I fear that you've been fasting too long...

Lady Ace said...

Hah! bobno has been around a long time! I wonder what ever happened to that crazy guy? Maplehurst likely. Now lets talk about the Lady Ace days!
(I still have my ID card by the way)